Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hostel

Hm......I have no place to really stay in Korea, haha. Short term accommodation considerations were hotels, love motels, 찜질방 (jjimjilbang), 여관 (yeogwans), and hostels. Hotels, love motels, and 여관 are expensive even for short term stay. I wouldn't have minded staying at a 찜질방, but I can't leave my luggage there. My last option would be a hostel, which I stayed in before in Canada. I used hostelworld which was the same website I used to get a hostel in Canada . I didn't choose my hostel by rating at all. I based everything on price, location, and reviews. I needed a hostel that was near Line 2 aka the Green Line subway stations, so I could get to Sogang and search for housing around the area for a few days. As pictured below, I needed to get from the blue (Line 2) to the red (Sogang):


The top 3 hostels I had to choose from was Mr.Kim's Friends Guesthouse, Hong Guesthouse, and Seoul I Guesthouse. Unfortunately none of the hostels are in Sinchon =/, but in Hongdae. When I think about....I don't know if there are any hostels in Sinchon. Hongdae is very close anyway, so I shouldn't have an issue. All the hostels that I rounded up were all close to Line 2 which I provided with pictures. Listed below are the prices per day and the types of rooms each hostel had that I considered to get:

==========================================================
Mr.Kim's Friends Guesthouse


Prices
Basic 1 Bed Tent Shared Bathroom - US$11.24 (weekday) + US$13.11 (Fri+Sat) x2 days = US$37.46
Basic 4 Bed Mixed Dorm - US$14.05 (standard) x3 days = US$42.14
Basic 10 Bed Mixed Dorm - US$11.24 (standard) x3days = US$33.71

Hong Guesthouse


Prices
4 Bed Mixed Dorm - US$14.05 (standard) x3 days = US$42.14
Standard 6 Bed Mixed Dorm - US$12.17 (standard) x3 days = US$36.52

Seoul I Guesthouse


Prices
Basic 10 Bed Mixed Dorm - US$12.46 (weekday) x2 days + US$15.45 (Fri+Sat) = US$43.36
==========================================================

Mr.Kim's Friends Guesthouse reviews were very shady. Getting that feeling means I definitely don't want to stay there. On top of that, I don't want to sleep in a tent, haha. It is by far the cheapest though. The 4 bed mixed dorm was the same price as the other hostels. The 10 bed mixed dorm seemed ok, but when I think about it.....just too many people and too much noise.

Hong Guesthouse reviews were pretty good. The 4 bed mixed dorm was the same price as the other hostels. I was going to get the 6 bed mixed dorm cause it was cheaper, but backed out cause I thought it was too many people. Albeit I'm sure it probably wouldn't be full, I just don't want to deal with drama.

Seoul I Guesthouse reviews were really good. I didn't choose this cause it was more expensive than the other hostels.
==========================================================

I ended up booking with Hong Guesthouse cause of how everyone said the owner was helpful. I'll be needing all the help I could get, haha. Bothering the owner all day =P. The pricing wasn't too bad either. I booked the hostel from February 25th - February 27th for 3 nights. I just put in the days that I wanted and chose 1 person. After that you need to pay a 10% deposit and a $2 booking fee. I paid $4.21 deposit + $2 booking fee = $6.21. After you booked everything you should be directed to a confirmation page and sent an email:

Confirmation Page

Email Confirmation

After a few days later I found out they dropped the prices >__<, but it was only a few cents though. I also checked my bank statement and was charged $0.16 for INTERNATIONAL POS FEE VIS 1227 IE. I think that's just silly, haha. Well if you're around the area, I guess I'll see ya around =D.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Vinh,
    Happy new year! ^^

    If you want to save some money, you could do couchsurfing.

    http://www.couchsurfing.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, most of them are in hongdae... I've found one in sinchon, I thinks it's quite new: http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/JK-House-in-Seoul/Seoul/44211

    Last time I went to korea I stayed at Kim friends guesthouse. It's a nice place, but only for a few days, people come and go all day/night long. you made a good deciscion not going there^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for verifying I made a good decision =). JK house is so expensive compared to all the other ones. Glad I didn't stay at Mr Kim's Friends Guesthouse. It would drive me mad, haha.

    ReplyDelete