Friday, October 8, 2010

A Whole Year?

In order for me to immerse myself in a culture I was interested in, I wanted to stay a year there. I didn't want to JUST visit. I wanted to learn the language and about the people. In order for me to stay a year I needed.....MONEY. And lots of it. I calculated I needed about $12,000 (includes airfare). I had the money and was set to leave in early 2009, but ran into a problem. You can only stay in Korea for 90 days without a visa. I didn't know how to get around this at all. I couldn't get a visa long enough for me to stay except for a tourist visa, but I would need to do a visa run (going to a different country to renew your visa). I didn't want to do that in a country I didn't know with limited funds. I searched all over the internet for a way. I was able to find it luckily....sort of.

I could apply to a Language University and get a student visa while I was there. Specifically a D4 student visa that can last 6 months. Well, there's another problem with that too. I would need MORE money to pay for the tuition and other miscellaneous fees. I set another goal of $24,000. I pretty much sacrificed 2 years of my life to save this amount of money. As of now, I'm pretty close, but will still need a large sum. We'll see if I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment