Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Housing Search

It took me months of research on where and how I can get a place to stay. There just isn't enough information on the internet to know what I was getting myself into. Not knowing where to stay is very frustrating, but I hope this blog can help with that. The types of housing I considered was 하숙, 고시완, homestays, one-rooms, and officetels. My budget is very limited, so my options were a 고시완 and a 하숙. I contacted a few people on different blogs to see how they got their housing. There weren't a lot of replies back. There are a few websites you can go to and they advertise housing, but even with pictures of the rooms, you don't know the real size of them without being there. Next I looked at 서강's website and saw they had a listing of 하숙's. I didn't have any other listings for 하숙's, so I just based everything on that. A week before I got to Korea, a friend of mine was already there searching. Unfortunately all the ones that my friend saw were all booked. She opted to stay in a 고시원 instead.

On the first day I came to Korea, I started knocking on some 하숙's that I saw while wondering around the 서강 area. Most of them will have no answer. Some of the 하숙's are just boys and some are just girls. On the second day I had the manager of the hostel call some 하숙's for me that were on the 서강's website and set up times to meet with the 아줌마's. There weren't any luck in that cause everything was booked or no one answered. I had the manager write down a few sentences I could use to try my best at getting a 하숙. When knocking on doors got me no where that's when I got a phone. It's really CRUCIAL that you get a phone before a search. After getting my phone, the 아줌마's for the 하숙's started answering, but I really got no where again as they were all booked out as usual. To find some 하숙's, go out of exit 6 in 신촌 station and walk straight. Go around the corner and keep going straight. Look to your right and you'll see:


Go into the alleyway and you'll see:


Turn into that small alleyway and there's a set of 하숙's you can call:


This is how most of the conversation went with the 아줌마:

Me: 여보세요. 방 있어요? (Hello. Do you have rooms?)
아줌마: 없어요. (I do not.)
Me: Oh ok *hangs up phone*

That was all, haha. On my third day of 하숙 searching, I checked out a blogger's site. To my surprise the blogger wrote an entry on how to find 하숙's around the area. I was in luck cause I was going to give up and get a 고시완. Off I went out of exit 3 of 신촌 station. First you'll see a McDonald's:


Keep going straight until you see Etude and Paris Baguette:


Turn right into the alleyway and you'll see:


Go straight and turn to your left until you see:


At this intersection turn to your right and go up the stairs:


At the top of the stairs turn to your left and start calling:


If you they are all booked out, then go up the hill:


Turn to your left to see:


If you STILL can't find get one, then climb the last set of stairs:


At the top you'll see:


I called so many of them, but only one 하숙 had one room available for 400,000 which was right on target with my budget. I took it and damn it's clean. I live in one of these pictures and I can say the area is a little shady, BUT it's safe. I never had any problems walking around the area 2 in the morning at all cause I was hungry for street food, haha. Here's how the conversation went when called:

Me: 여보세요. 방 있어요? (Hello. Do you have rooms?)
아줌마: 네, ljfasjsjsfjfajjf;djfa (Yes, *then not understanding anything after that*)
Me: 방 좀 보고 싶어요? (Can I see the room?)
아줌마: 네, afj;ajfkj;fljafsfjasfij;powjj (Yes, *not understanding anything*)
*Checking out the room*
Me: 얼마예요? (How much is it?)
아줌마: ₩400,000
Me: 오늘 들어 갈게요? (Can I move in today?)
아줌마: 네, dafd'skf;kafk (Yes, *not understanding anything*)

See I didn't need a lot of Korean to even get a 하숙. After the negotiation, I moved in the next day. Gave the 아줌마 cash and I now have a place I call home. My 아줌마 is very nice and doesn't bother me much. The food is ok. There's not a lot of meat on the table. Mostly just side dishes, which I don't think I can live on it for a long time. The extra meals are a little overrated to me.

================================================
You can find another set of 하숙's if you look to your left from Paris Baguette (previous directions from above). You should see an intersection:


Cross over to Dilly Dally and go towards STCO until you're at:


Turn into the alleyway on the left to see:


Walk straight and you should see:


================================================
Another set of 하숙's is nearby too. Backtrack out of the alleyway and back to wear to came from A LITTLE until you see an intersection:


Cross over to the intersection and go straight until you see another intersection:


Turn to your right to see:


Go straight at the end of the street:


Turn left to see:


Go up the stairs to see:







===============================================
I found another set of 하숙's. When you see the entrance of 서강대학교, just keep walking straight. Stop once you see:


Look to your right to see the intersection:


Keep going straight until you're in front of:


Go into the alleyway and you'll be in 하숙 haven. Just turn into most of the corners to find:











============================================

하숙's are really common. Good luck on getting one ^__^V

9 comments:

  1. oh,
    my,
    gdness...
    seems like ALOT of hassle finding a hasuk :S
    at least you see alot of them in, presumably, Sinchon area? hats off your determination !!
    i'm looking at Gwangjin-gu area :/
    think i'll definitely need all the luck i can get! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fine, seriously. Just need a few days to look around the school area. Yes, all the photos are from the Shinchon area only. I'm not planning on going anywhere else cause this is really for Sogang/Yonsei students.

    Good luck to you. My advice is look for motels and you'll almost certain to find a few hasooks around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts, they definitely help me a lot with my plan to go to Korea. I have a question though, is there any hasuk out there that provides private bathroom? If there isn't, what's your opinion about finding goshiwon/ livingtel around Sogang university? Is there a lot?

    I'm planning just to be in Seoul first then search for housing instead of spending hours of time researching the internet as many people told me that it's much better to do that. But still, I'm a bit worried so I need more opinion :))

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of any hasooks that have a private bathroom in their rooms, but just like hasooks, there are a lot of goshiwons around the area also. Remember that goshiwons are small, but even smaller with bathrooms and have to pay a lot more. I know my housemate lives on a different floor than I do and she only has 1 other person to share her bathroom with. Unlike her I have to share the bathroom with 6 other people, but have 2 bathrooms though.

    Goshiwons are everywhere too. It's not hard to find any within the University areas cause that's what goshiwons were meant to be general. A place to study for students. A few of my classmates are in goshiwons and they were easy to find, but finding a really good cheap spacious one is hard. Definitely come here to find a goshiwon so you can see how tiny they are. Good luck and if you need anymore help come back to this blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate the information on your blog! I will be taking Korean classes at Yonsei soon, and I was wondering how far the above hasuks are from Yonsei campus. Are they more or less than 10 minutes walk? Which set is closer to Yonsei?

    I will print out this post and bring it when I go hunt for housing. Thanks for your suggestions!
    -- Leda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leda!!! The third set of hasooks are across the street from Yonsei Main Campus. It's about a 10 minute walk cause the campus is so big. The second set of hasooks are about 15 minutes walk. The first set of hasooks is about 20 minutes walk. 20 minutes sounds like a lot, but the time goes by really fast and the nicer hasooks are a little farther away.

    If you are taking the KLI classes, then I don't know where the hasooks are cause I've never been around that area. The KLI building is in a different location than the main campus. When you go hasook hunting, remember that there are hasooks in other establishments. EX. my classmate lives in a hasook that is on top of a bar across the street from the Yonsei Severence Hospital, haha. Good luck Leda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO helpful, I'll be looking for a goshiwon near Sogang in July and my Korean is very very limited at this point so it's a relieve to see that it's do-able to find a room without the help of a guide/korean friend etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which of these sets of hasuks are the closest to sogang? Thank you for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The very last set of pictures starting with 우리은행. Be warned that the closer you are to a University, it'll be more pricey. More pricey does not mean better.

    ReplyDelete